Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Barn Burning Weekend

6/19/11
Happy Father’s Day! We went to church today. It was only two hours instead of four this time, but that was partially because we got delayed two hours by the rain. There was a guest pastor from Nigera who was pretty entertaining. We dropped by Mary’s house because we knew that she would be expecting us on Sunday even though we hadn’t discussed it. I’m starting to feel like I have to drop by and see her the way that I feel like have to make sure that I call my mother at least once every week.

She made us stay for lunch. Meagan and I agree that we are starting to acquire a taste for something called ghee, which is along the lines of fermented butter added to beans. Needless to say it has a strong flavor that is reminiscent of blue cheese. She has finally learned to give us what she calls “baby sized” portions of food for lunch. It is the first time that I haven’t walked away painfully full.

Afterwards we went out into the yard to take a photograph. It was like taking a family photo. Largely because we had to take at least 20 photographs to make sure that everyone looked normal with their eyes open in the picture and so that everyone would have a picture on their personal camera. Her children Julius, Judith, and Julian are in the pictures with us (Mary as well). I really enjoy feeling connected to another family here. Especially this morning I was feeling a little homesick, enough to curl up with bo bear (yes he’s here with me) while I was writing up my field notes.

6/18/11
We had a “barn burning” day as Nicole calls it. We entered so many tests, somewhere around 750. We’re up to 2000 students entered, 64,000 data points, and we probably have one more full day of work before we’re done. I’m getting excited in a nerdy way about generating the statistics. I can already see some of the trends (some good, some not so good) having spent so much time with the data.

6/17/11
Having some more issues with the database and the student tests. We actually have so much data that it is difficult for my computer to process all of the information. Never in a million years would I think that I didn’t have enough computer power to deal with the data collection and analysis portions of our evaluation.

Nicole and I went to dinner with one of our friends from the coffee shop and his girlfriend, Frank and Ruby. We went outside of the city which is always a nice change. It was actually really beautiful because the sun was going down over the hills lighting up the crops of sweet potatoes and corn. Stocks of hand made bricks here and there between the hills. The heat of the day finally lifting while the woker’s dust settles. It’s enough to make anyone feel romantic, even me.

Given the ambience, I plucked up the courage to ask Nicole if she liked Africa. She said yes. It was a relief knowing that she had been working up to this trip for several years now.

6/16/11
Oh man, what a day. We went to the UNCST. I dropped off all the paperwork (for the second time). The secretary said that we should have approval by Monday or Tuesday, which I know means Thursday or Friday. So here’s hoping.

Meagan did an observation at a school while our test was being administrated. I think we will post it in picasa, or somewhere so you can actually see what we’ve been working on for three years. It was encouraging to me at least.

5 comments:

  1. Gin
    I did not get to give my tutorial because everyone had to much wine to drink. Anyway we had a good father's day . We got to see Charlie who is leaving in two weeks to start a master's program at Rutgers. Granny made a grasshopper pie and I made bannana cake that Pops Mom use to make for holidays.

    It sounds like you are getting settled in. It was great to hear your voice today. We think of you ofter.

    love nannie ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ginger we miss ypu. Hope all is going well. At the baseball game with chriatopher. I think lucy is skowing down some worried. Let me see if this will post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ginger - Its Mom Just thought I would write a little more. I am up early because my tummy hurts a little. I fixed pizza bread for dinner and I think the pepperoni is not agreeing with me. I have a busy week with Christopher. Two nights of baseball and two nights of soccer. I also joined a new Bunco group with my tennis team. I am hosting on Thursday night but we need five subs. I am going to cook chichen spaghetti. Hope it goes over well. We had the crawfish boil for Lauren and Jeff. It was nice but hot. I am not playing much tennis except for my Tuesday night league. We haven't had any rain in weeks. I have been trying to water the grass but am starting to give up. Hope this is not an indicator that we will get a big rain storm aka. Hurricane. It sounds as if you guys are getting lots accomplished which I am glad. Take Care Love always mom. Gald you have Bo Bear with you to keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ghee is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like paragraph 2 on 6-17-rosemary

    ReplyDelete