Thursday, July 9, 2009

To Catch Up

Like I said, we didn't have the internet for a couple days, and yesterday was really busy, so today is the first chance I've gotten to sit down and really write about everything that has been happening.

July 4
We had a blast! The American embassy put on a party for the Americans in the country complete with a cookout and a fireworks display. The held it at this country club type place that was actually very nice. I was really excited to have some potato salad and some baked beens. We didn't see anyone that we knew, but Dustin went and spoke to someone that had gone to UT since that is where he did his undergraduate degree. They also had performers there doing some traditional dances, which I of course loved much better than anything else.

Here in East Africa they make these really cool drums with goat hides stretched over a wooden frame. I think that I'm going to get a small one for my self.

The cookout concluded around eight thirty so we met up with our friends for a while afterward, but we made sure not to stay out as late as we have been. This way we would be able to do work the next day.

July 5
I spent almost the entire day writing. The best part was that I conducted an interview with one of the people that I have met along the way. He was great and gave me a lot of information. For what ever reason, Ugandans are eager to talk and give their opinions, so I sat there and listened for over two hours. We were at another country club sitting at the restaurant, and the waitress had to bring me a candle so that I could continue writing. That is how long I sat there.

On our way out the person I was interviewing waved to a man in a suit. Once we had passed the suited man he told me that was the vice president. I said "The vice president of what?". "of Uganda." I was totally blown away by the fact that I had practically brushed by what would be a huge political figure in America. I was also really embarassed because I only had on a t-shirt. I wish I had worn something a little nicer. All of his body guards were in the parking lot. I guess that politicians are a little more accessible here.

July 6
Today the day was spent trying to figure out how to send a package home. Dustin wanted to send some coffee and a few other things back to his wife. It turned out to be really expensive because the only place we could find was a fedex express. I had also set up another interview for the day. The person also turned out to be really great, and it ended up being another two hour interview. This same young man has also offered to take us to different areas of town where the rates of HIV are very high, so that we can talk to people and see for ourselves what it is like. (This is the point where our internet stopped working, and we couldn't figure out how to fix it).

July 7

Both Dustin and I have been sick from eating something. It effected me much worse, and I couldn't hardly leave the house at all. Dustin did go to try to get the internet fixed, but it didn't work. At this point I was really hoping that it would get fixed soon because Dustin was starting to loose his cool over it and he doesn't feel good on top of it. The problem is that we have paid for this service, and it is frustrating when it doesn't work. I'm so uncomfortable that it is difficult for me to even sit and write. I wouldn't be so frustrated by being sick if I could at least catch up on my writing.

July 8

Today was an exceptionally busy day, so it was a good thing that I was feeling much better, although I'm not totally right again. I met up with Joan to go to pick up my dresses that I had made. We had to travel to an area south of Kampala, sort of in between Kampala and Entebee. We went to her sister's house, who had made the dresses for me. It was soooo interesting.

The sister had a small store adjacent to her house, the equivalent of a convenience store. In the store she also had her sewing machine. The sewing machine she had looked like an antique to me. It was a singer that you had to continually press the pedal back and forth for it to run.

She had her toddler son there with her. He was very interested in me. He kept speaking to me in Luganda because he didn't understand that I couldn't understand, but it actually was helpful in picking up a few words since toddlers use such simple words and repeat them over and over again. I taught him to make sweet eyes at me, which was very cute, and he wanted to come into the dressing room with me while I tried on the clothes. He also gave me a piece of his candy, which I was pretty impressed with for a two year old.

Before I tried on any clothes Joan and her sister made a quick meal. The used little charcoal stoves and just placed their pots directly over the coals. I wish I could have taken a picture of it. We had an interesting array of things, African tea, which consists of tea and milk, instead of tea and water, scrambled eggs, avocados, and spaghetti pasta with tomatoes in it. It was actually all very good, but I felt like I was having breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack all at once.

Afterwards I was able to try on the dresses. I'm very excited about the long dress. It needed some alterations and she was able to do them right then and there. Then when she was finished I was able to try them on again to make sure that they fit correctly. The long dress turned out much better than I expected, and I'm really excited to be able to wear it. I like it because the pattern of the dress looks very much like an African print, but the cut of the dress is more American or European, so it's not so over powering. And the color of it suits me very well. It's a very deep red, almost purple color.

Everyone was fussing over how good it looked, and it made me a little embarrassed. I had to insist that it be let out a little because they like to wear their dresses very tight. I told them that I had to be able to move.

We had to rush back into town so that Joan could make it to work on time and I could make it to the meeting at the Foundation. She helped me find a taxi bus and the taxi park, which is a nightmare of a place. They squeeze as many taxi's as they can into this acre sized plot of land. There are sign posts stating where the taxis in that vicinity are going, but you have to know what general area they park in. So you get on a taxi and you have to wait and wait for the taxi to fill. It's hot and the air is stagnant especially at mid day like I was doing. People walk around with their little trinkets for sale trying to make a few shillings, and they always target me because I'm white and they thing that I have a lot of money to spare. Especially when I am by myself they like to hassle me, thinking that I'm going to give in. Men yell at me and tell me that they want to marry me.

I have actually come up with a good response for that comment. Here men have to pay a bride price for the the woman they are going to marry, so they have to give many items to the woman's family before he can marry her, and he has to pay for the entire wedding. So I tell them that they don't have enough money for me, and it makes them laugh because I'm playing into what is their culture.

Anyhow, so I took a taxi bus from the taxi park to the foundation. I was worried because I knew I was going to be late. Here it isn't a big deal to be late, but that's one of the things that I can't let go of. I can't stand to be late. However, I lucked out because the meeting had been canceled. Everyone but Dustin and I knew about it, but the trip wasn't wasted because our favorite restaurant is down the street from the foundation. It is an Italian place run by and actual Italian. It's really good, I can't remember if I have written about it yet. It's the only place we can go where things taste familiar, so we have gotten into the habit of going there when we go to the foundation.

From there we met up with one of our new friends, William. This is the one that we interviewed on Monday. He took us to his home, because he lives in one of the slums in Kampala that is well know for prostitution. He introduced us to his grand-aunt. He wanted us to talk to her because she has been living in that same area for a long time. She has adopted about eight of her grandchildren because many of her children and their husbands have died from AIDS. William and a few of the other relatives help her to keep up with the children. That's just part of his story, but I don't have time to type it all out. He's a really good person, I'll just leave it at that.

He wanted us to come so that we could see for ourselves what the area is like when the girls come out at night to look for customers. We didn't feel entirely safe, but since we were with someone who lived there and knew all of the residents, we figured that was about as good as it was going to get. He also knew one of the "agents" in the area, which isn't exactly like a pimp, but similar. We interview him and one of his girls.

All I can say is that it was really rough on both Dustin and I to interview these people, emotionally speaking. The woman started crying in the middle of the interview, and it was difficult for me to hold back the tears. You could tell that she hated what she was doing. Even William was struck by the experience. The best that we could do in good conscience was give her some money for her time. We probably gave her as much money as she would make in a week. It was impossible not to intervene at this point.

After that we decided to go home before things really got going. Things don't really pick up till 11:00 or so, and we decided it was in our best interest to leave before then, in particular for my safety. Other women are not really welcome. William went with us into town and helped us find a taxi (again from the taxi park). We made it home safely, but we were so overwhelmed by the events of the day, that we couldn't do any more work for the night. We just relaxed and read, then went to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I've looked at your new pics and they are amazing! I was so proud/interested to hear of your interviewing the agent/commercial sex workers. It sounds like you both were smart and safe about it, going with William, but also courageous for going there and exposing yourself to such emotional experiences. I remember talking with katrina survivors 3 years after shook me up, so I can only imagine. Who knows if you would have had that opportunity if the foundation hadn't slowed your plans down. Hopefully its a blessing in disguise.
    I'm glad your 4th went well and you had some creature comforts like potato salad. I was able to go home which equally recharged my "feels like home" battery. Cant wait to see your dresses and I so look forward to your and Dustin's posts.
    Take care and keep up the good work,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all of the pictures that you all have posted. Sounds like your interviews are very interesting as well as very emotional. Apparently you and Justin are making good progress with the project. However time is moning very rapidly and you will be winding things up before you know it. Granny and I are going to spend the better part of the week in Baton Rouge to stay with Caroline while Nanny Ann and Uncle Bill go to San Diego on business. We are looking forward to a visit from Aunt Renee and family in two weeks. Quite a bit going on the remainder of the summer. Looking forward to your return and hearing all about your experience. Pops & Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweetheart just wanted to say Hi. Christopher and Dad are packing up for their trip. Kaite is working at the club and watching the bachelor. I renewed the tickets to the saenger. I cracked my computer screen today. Didn't know you could do that. Hope all is well. Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete