Monday, July 26, 2010

Back from Jinja

We had a blast in Jinja for Meagan's birthday. I think the story is best told in pictures (follow the link like usual), and between Meagan and I we got some really amazing shots. We arrived on Friday night. Although it isn't that far from Kampala, it took us a while to get through the Friday afternoon traffic. The next morning, we went horseback riding at the Nile, then went to a set of falls call Bujagali Falls, We picnicked at the source of the Nile eating fresh Nile perch and fruits and veggies that we brought ourselves. Then we took a boat ride around on the river. We pretty much gave the Nile and Jinja a thorough work over. I was really pleased with the way everything turned out and I think that Meagan as well as everyone else enjoyed the birthday celebration.
On Sunday we stopped at another set of waterfalls that was not on the map, but one that only the local people knew about. It was a place where people who have traditional beliefs go to ask for blessings and relief from evils. We took a tour of the grounds and washed our feet in the stream. Hopefully we didn't pick up any bad juju along the way...but we made it back safely at least and are preparing for our last full week here in Kampala. It is an ominous feeling knowing that we will be leaving soon, and neither we nor our friends care to talk about it. It's hard to explain what it is that makes Uganda so enjoyable despite all of the strange and difficult things that we have to deal with. Meagan and I are already trying to think up ways that we can come back and spend some more time here.

3 comments:

  1. I loved your pictures and you can definitely get a sense of the trip. I loved the videos interspersed. I'm so happy you guys are having such a momentous experience there and I can understand not wanting to come back. I hope your remaining days there are productive and fun and I can't wait to talk about your summer. You know I love all the small trivial details of life across the world. I was just remembering before you went to Uganda the first time and you didn't have that much support, but you persevered anyways. Now looking back at all you have accomplished, you should be so proud of yourself. Of the very least of your accomplishments is setting a new precedent for UM practicum! Take care and here's a virtual hug from Kentucky ((( Jinja )))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginja
    What a great photo trip for us in USA ! Looks like Jinja was beautiful. Your mom and I are doing Rocketchix this weekend and so is Elizabeth. Katie slept over last night after coming in from Chicago. Not very exciting here compared to seeing the Nile. Hope your last couple of days in Africa are good.

    love nannie ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ginger,
    Love the pictures. Looks like you are so happy there. We are all awaiting your arrival in the states. Christopher is driving in tonight. I think he had a great trip but is glad to be getting home. Mrs. Barbra Maher is doing rocket chix with me. My training is going well but my knees are hurting. Tell all your friends hello and happy birthday to Megan. Give all the kids and animals in Uganda a hug for me. Love you mom

    ReplyDelete