Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A better update

Finally the internet is working more effectively and I can give a better update. Let me start upfront by saying that I'm not going to leave early. I understand that many of you are concerned about my safety, but both Meagan and I have decided that we are not in immediate danger. Although one American was killed and others were injured, the attacks were not directly specifically at foreigners but at the general public by a Somali terrorist group. We have been keeping in touch with the embassy and getting information from them. You also can get information from the embassy and the state department to see what they recommend. They each have a website and the information is readily available. Thanks for all of your concern and we are still exercising a level of caution as we being to go back to our daily routine and move about the city.
The atmosphere around here is getting back to normal. A lesson that seems to be difficult for me is that the world doesn't stop moving when people die, even if it is tragic. That doesn't mean that the event is insignificant, but life continues on all around. We don't know anyone who died directly, but our friends almost always knew someone. One lost an uncle and his car is stuck at the rugby club because the uncle borrowed the car. By now most of the dead have been buried.
We stayed at the compound for a day and a half, but have started to venture out keeping closer to home and for things that we need. The difficulty with not having internet is not being able to get decent information, and the newspaper and televised news is never that great. So ultimately we had to leave if we were going to get information. Plus our friends keep us updated and watch over us as always. In all honesty that is how we found out about what happened before it was ever on the news. As the game was ending one person got a text that there was an explosion, then another, then another, until everyone's phone around us was lighting up. We were out that evening watching the game at a small local bar not that far from the Rugby Club. After the game we went directly home, knowing that something was going on in the city, but felt safe in the compound. All night we could hear the sirens passing by as they took the dead and injured from the Rugby Club to Mulago Hospital. It wasn't until the next morning that we knew the explosions had been at the local rugby club and an Ethiopian restaurant in Kabalagala, a neighborhood south of downtown close to the American embassy.
So yes, it is sad and unsettling and atrocious that someone would do something like that, but out of principle I feel that it is important for me to stay and continue working. As Meagan and I have been talking about what happened and working through it in our own way, I think she made an excellent point in saying that because terrorist groups don't have the means to carry on an outright and upfront war with whomever they decide is their enemy, they resort to psychological warfare and preying on people's fear to get what they want. I refuse to allow anyone so cowardly as to attack innocent people enjoying the World Cup, which was intended to be a symbol of African unity and peacefulness to prey on and instill fear in me. That's how I feel about it, take it or leave it. See you all August 11th.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. I would do the same. Love that you have some of that conass strong will in ya. Let me know what I can do for you. I will say a prayer for all the people who lost loved ones. Stay strong but don't let your strong will get in the way of good advice. Listen to the embassy. Love you mom. I thought you were due in on the 9th?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all of this time I finally figured out how to post a comment. It is not the same as last year. I definitely admire what you are doing but wish you were home. we are having a family reunion on Labor Day. You might want to bring some of your pictures and show them to people. I will have a LCD projector which you can huck up your lap top to but I am not sure where we will project. We could tape a sheet on the wall. I will talk to David about this.
    If you can come to Lafayette, I will take you shopping same as last year. we will look for "professional clothes".
    You know how much I love you and can't wait to see you again.
    KK

    ReplyDelete