Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The beginning of a new week

June 8
Hey everyone, I hope you are enjoying the blog so far.

Today has been an interesting day, and we have managed to do a lot of things on our own. We made it into town as I said before, we went to the book store, then the internet cafĂ©, then the phone store, then for lunch, we met with Andrew Briefly, then the coffee shop, then home again. I’m pretty sure it’s the most we’ve accomplished in any one day.

We are trying to get a better internet situation, but one has not come about just yet. It would be expensive for us to by something for the computer, so we are looking into the library.

Dustin bought a coffee press and some fresh coffee and it is delicious! I’ll probably be bringing back a bunch.

June 9
Today we have spent the day at home. We have been working on the proposal all day trying to get it prepared and submitted by the end of the week. Papers, books, and notes are spread out all over the tables. The weather has been wonderful today. Sunny and I nice breeze, no threatening clouds.

I have already finished the book I bought. It was about the abduction of children by the Lord’s Resistance Army in the northern part of the country. Of course it was so sad and heartbreaking to hear the stories of the children that had been abducted, and the brutality they endured. It is the sort of thing that is hard for me to understand, especially after interacting with the children the bit that we have so far. They are so eager and happy.

For those that are maybe not aware of what I’m talking about: when the current president took power in 1986 there were a group of rebels, who eventually came to be know as the Lord’s Resistance Army that would go back and forth between Uganda and Sudan. They would attack villages and steal the children. Then the children would be forced to become part of the army and conduct ruthless acts of violence. Then these children would abduct other children and the cycle would begin again. The leader of the army was a man by the last name of Kony. He essentially thinks he is a prophet guided by the holy spirit. Thousands of children have been abducted over the course of the 20 yr period. Kony is still alive, but I think the resistance has lost almost all of its momentum.

Now the problem is rehabilitating all of the children that have been released. They have all been severely traumatized, the children as well as the adults, and the rates of post traumatic stress disorder are staggering. They need counseling in some form or fashion whether it is in a traditional way or in a clinical way.

If you want to learn more about it, look up the organization Invisible Children. I think the LRA also has a website, but be careful it’s full of propaganda. I haven’t looked at either myself, but I’m sure both would be informative.

Sometimes when I think of all the things that need to be done around the world, people, and especially children that need help, it becomes very overwhelming. I want to be able to help all of them. I know that I can’t help all of them, but I do feel partially responsible because I’m so able. In my mind withholding and being complacent is almost as bad as refusing. I suppose that I’m on my way to helping a lot of children at once, but it’s hard to allay this sense of urgency I get.

Anyway after feeling so heavy I took a nap and I feel much better. When I start to feel a little sad or homesick, that usually means that I haven’t slept enough. I’ve been pretty good about homesickness, but it would be nice if people could post some of the normal things that are going on at home.

5 comments:

  1. Ginger-It sounds like you all are coming along slowly but surely. I know it must be quite an adjustment tomake but it has got to be oh so interesting. I appreciate your feeling about wanting to help all of the children, but you have to focus on what is attainable. Everything will fall into place. Granny and I had her broyher Paul, his wife and a Japanese friend and two of his grandchildren with us for the last several days. Had a great visit with them. Friday, Granny and I are going to New Orleans to celebrate my 50th anniversity of graduation from Med School. Looking forward to seeing all ofthose "old people" Should be interesting. We are so excited about your adventure. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ginger it was great to hear your voice yesterday. I am glad you are doing well. Lucy threw up in Katie's room today and she cleaned it up. Miracles never cease. I think I have a lizard living in my bedroom. I saw him on the carpet this a.m. and on my curtain the other day. I like lizards so I think I will keep him as a friend. Buddy is spending the weekend with us. I tried to take him home to eat and he won't leave. He stepped on my flip flop in the backyard which made me fall down. Of course he thought I was playing and jumped all over me. He is such a puppy but a big puppy. Not much going on this weekend. Christopher has a baseball game tomorrow and I am still celebrating my birthday and am going to dinner with Ms. Pam and Ms. Teri. Anyway I hope to call you on Sunday. Take Care. I have always been pulled to the abused children. I am glad to see I have raised a child that feels the same. I will try to get the book. Love you mom. Sometimes it is hard to post to the blog. That may be why you aren't hearing from people. I did speak to Mr Richard. He is sending the check. They miss you and think you are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ginger - glad to hear things are going pretty well for you. You remind me of me at your age - although you are being a little more adventurous than I was - the closest I got to Africa was the Canary Islands which I don't think counts since its technically a party of Spain. I'm sure you will find that this trip will fundamentally change your outlook on life. We just finished school on Wed so we are still in wind down mode. Clare had a swim meet last night that lasted until almost midnight so we're moving a little slow this morning. Next week we start swimming lessons for the boys and then VBS and other various camps for the next several weeks. We're heading to La at the end of July and then to Gulf Shores for the first week in August. Anyway - glad things are going well - I'm enjoying your postings. Take Care - Be Safe. Love

    Aunt Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I think I figured this Blogging posting thing out Gin, hell if Granny can do it, I should be able to.

    I have never been a fan of blogs before, had the impression they were for far right or far left people who felt the general population is entitled to know their views and why they are right. But I have to say I have become addicted to yours. You do a great job in your writing of putting me in Uganda with you and this Dustin character. I look forward to checking and checking it every day.

    I guess I have reached an age when I have adventure through others. In a addition to you, MC is at a leadership camp in Houston and Andrew is up in Minnesota, canoeing the Boundry Waters Wilderness area for 7 days. HM and I are having our own camp at the Hotel Zaza in Dallas. Your Mom and Christopher are planning on coming next week and we hope to see FC Dallas, the MLS team here play. And Nanny Ann and her crew (except Sara)are coming for the 4th of July and we hope to catch a Rangers game. I have great memories of going to Camden yards when you were little when I would visit DC. You loved Cal Ripkin.

    Well gotta run, I know everyone tells you to be safe, so I won't (though you need to be safe), have fun, keep an open mind and a love for people, and keep doing good things.
    Ed

    ReplyDelete