Monday, June 15, 2009

A comfortable weekend

Dustin is trying to put on some video, but you might have to view it from his blog. It's only traffic, so it's not that interesting, but we will try to get something better soon.

June 14

Today has been a really relaxing day. I have spent the whole day catching up on writing and reading. We tried to make French toast today, but I hate the frying pan we have. It doesn’t have a handle on it, so you have to hold it with a dish cloth. The stove is a gas stove, and I’m afraid that the dish towel is going to catch on fire. It all tasted fine. I have enjoyed listening to the church crowd today. They were going late.

Somehow the children in our compound hangout under my window. It’s like their hangout spot where they just sit and talk. I can overhear their entire conversation, and they talk. Today they were climbing on it. I went to knock on it, and it scared them away. It wasn’t really my intension to scare them, but they couldn’t see me through the window. And they run around in our yard.

I noticed in the paper that they are banning plastic bags. It’s funny that they are very environmentally conscious, you can’t smoke in restaurants or anything. It’s such an unusual system because they have spent the last 20 yrs. developing from the ground up. And so they have skipped a lot of the stages that other western countries have gone through. They don’t have the infrastructure to really pick up the garbage, so they just skip ahead to eliminating a lot of it. In the same way they don’t have land lines for phones, so everyone has a cell. The electricity is unreliable, so there is a big push for solar energy. I think it’s just interesting.

June 13

Today is the first day that Dustin and I were brave enough to go out at night. We went to a bar that was just down the road from where we lived. They were having a karaoke night, which was interesting. They were all singing in Lugandan so we couldn’t understand what they were saying. Afterwards, we stopped and picked up a pizza with pepperoni with olives. It wasn’t half bad.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gin,
    it's Granny- Pops and I really enjoyed your blogs and the pictures. Sounds like you are finally getting down to your work. I know that you are happy about that.
    Pops and I spent the weekend in New Orleans for the 50th reunion of his med school class. IT WAS GREAT. We topped it off by meeting your Mom and Katie and Nanny Ann and Uncle Bill for lunch Sunday at Galatoire's.
    Now we have to eat bread and water for the next week. Your Mom is coming in this evening to work with Uncle Michael so we will get to visit with her more. Nothing too exciting gonin on here. We will be looking forward to your next blog. Love, Granny and Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ginger,

    Just thought I would send you a note. I am in New Iberia today and will be going home tomorrow. I enjoy coming to NI. It is very relaxing. Granny fixes my coffee and she also fixes me a sandwich to take for lunch. I am helping Uncle Michael. His work is very interesting. I spoke with someone in Turkey today. She is my new friend. I am going to Dallas to see Uncle Ed this weekend. Chistopher is coming with me. It should be fun. Hope all is going well with you this week. Miss you and love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nannie Ann
    Hi Ginger- I finally figured out how to post comments. I had to get our tech support guy to help me. I love reading your blog. It is so interesting.

    I met with Dr. Muhumuza yesterday, June 15-it also happened to be his birthday-same as Elizabeth and also wedding anniversary for Uncle Bill and I and Granny and Pops a very good day. Uncle Bill bought me a new bike so I can go faster in my triathelon.

    Sara and I went out for sushi tonight which was very good. Sara is taking 6 hours but in class 9 to 3 because of the art work and workng at Urban. Caroline left Sunday for dance intensive program with Nashville ballet for two weeks. She is staying on Vaderbuilt's campus and having a grand time.

    coco is still around and doing ok. every once in awhile we catch her running on her wheel. Buddy had a spa day today and got a hair shave. He also got a new bed. Honey misses the girls and fusses at us because we don't feed her as much as they do.

    Dr.M says that Eva and the children will be coming to uganda July 11 and he the week after that.

    LSU is doing very well in the college world series. They won their first two games and play again this Friday at 1. It will be a short work day around our office. We plan to go to New Iberia for father's day on Sunday.

    We love your blog. Sara said she will post pictures. love Nannie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. nannie ann

    ps -i was able to open up and view all the pictures. they are great.

    ReplyDelete